After much deliberation, the Walka Waterworks Ultra will not go ahead as planned this Sunday.

Mountain Sports and RunNSW takes runner safety and well being seriously. The weather forecast for Maitland for March 18th has steadily risen from 35d to 38d in recent days, which is well above the 36 degrees at which Sports Medicine Australia recommends events be cancelled or postponed due to the extreme risk of heat injury to participants. We feel the risks on this course specifically with its unsheltered nature combined with the extended period on course are unacceptable in the predicted heat.

We deliberated about an earlier start and unfortunately that is not an option for a few reasons. 1) our access to the venue is limited  2) any start time exposes runners to the heat of the middle of the day.


After consulting with the venue and with third parties involved our plan is to stage the event a little later in the year. We will provide this date as soon as it has been confirmed.

This will give runners extra time to train and will be a cooler time of year – the right conditions fr a PB we think!!


As per Mountain Sports terms and conditions – all entries will be rolled over to the new date. If you are unable to attend the new date, you will be able to transfer your entry to another runner in the meantime. We will update you on the transfer process in the near future.

Please do contact us for further information on 0416571660 or